Harris County Elections Administrator’s Office has a grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by Title II of the ADA.
- A complaint may be filed orally or in writing.
- Election staff will be provided the Disability Complaint Form. The form can also be found online at harrisvotes.com.
- An oral complaint will be reduced to writing by the complainant or, if requested, another person identified by the complainant, including Harris County personnel (including election judges, election workers, employees, and contractors) or the ADA Coordinator and should be provided to the complainant for signature, if possible.
- Should a complaint arise at a vote center regarding anything that allegedly discriminates against persons with disabilities, the Election Judge or election worker should document, through the use of the Disability Complaint Form:
- Description of the complaint
- Vote Center on which the complaint was made
- Name, address, contact information and signature of the complainant
- Any documentation or information related to the complaint.
- It is recommended that a complaint be filed within thirty (30) days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation, but there is no deadline for filing a complaint.
- In cases of employment related ADA complaints, the procedures established by the Grievance Procedure for Harris County employees will be followed where applicable.
- An investigation, as may be appropriate, will follow the filing of a complaint.
- The investigation shall be conducted as directed by the ADA Coordinator. These rules contemplate informal but thorough investigations, affording all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to a complaint.
- A written determination (or where appropriate, another format accessible to the complainant such as large print, Braille, or audio tape) as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, shall be issued by the ADA Coordinator.
- A copy shall be forwarded to the complainant no later than twenty (20) calendar days after its issuance.
- The response will explain the position of Harris County and offer options for substantive resolution of the complaint.
- The ADA Coordinator shall maintain the files and records of Harris County relating to the complaints.
- The complainant can request an appeal in instances where he or she is dissatisfied with the resolution.
- The request for reconsideration should be submitted to the Elections Administrator within seven (7) calendar days of the date the determination was received by the complainant. The Elections Division Director shall consider the complainant’s appeal.
- Within twenty (20) calendar days after receipt of the appeal, the Elections Administrator or his or her designee will respond in writing, and, where appropriate, in a format accessible to the complainant, with a final resolution of the complaint.
SEND COMPLAINTS TO:
1001 Preston St., 4th Floor, Houston, Texas, 77002