Harris County Office of Elections Administrator Mission
The Harris County EA is committed to serving Harris County residents by providing essential voter registration and election services in an equitable, accessible, secure, and transparent manner.
ADA Compliance Division
The ADA Compliance Division of the EA is responsible for effectively implementing the ADA Compliance program to ensure and improve the accessibility for voters with disabilities and Harris County citizens in compliance with the Department of Justice settlement agreement and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). By developing responsive solutions, effective communication procedures and proactive remedies, we aim to improve accessibility for voters to participate in the electoral process.
The ADA Compliance Division is seeking a passionate advocate for individuals with accessibility needs with a commitment to ensuring compliance with the Department of Justice settlement agreement and ADA standards. The individual will work collaboratively within a team to support the ADA Compliance Manager and Senior ADA Compliance Associates in development and implementation of strategic goals for addressing the accessibility needs of Harris County voters. The ideal candidate has strong work ethic, is attentive to detail, is a self-starter, and is passionate and proactive about increasing accessibility to voters in Harris County.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts physical accessibility surveys of polling locations in Harris County using appropriate tools.
- Advise election judges on how to implement temporary remedies appropriately based on the approved checklists.
- Develop checklists of temporary measures and remedies based on surveys.
- Assists with temporary ramp installations
- Evaluate polling locations for ADA issues and documents them by photographing, sketching and labelling appropriately.
- Consult with Senior ADA Compliance Associate for quality control of checklists and verifications of temporary remedies
- Attend all recommended and required trainings, including surveyor training.
- Assist in real time with ADA concerns during the election period.
- Test for electrical and Internet connectivity at polling locations
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If you need special services or accommodations, please call (713) 274-5445 or email [email protected].
This position is subject to a criminal history check. Only relevant convictions will be considered and, even when considered, may not automatically disqualify the candidate.